Author Topic: rear tyres rubbing on arches  (Read 1325 times)

Offline davebatt69

• Not said much yet
rear tyres rubbing on arches
« on: 01 June 2004, 14:49 »
recently had some 195/50/15 tyres fitted to the rear of my mk2 gti,  the suspension has been lowered.
the car was fine for two weeks but now the o/s tyre rubs on the arch when going over bumps.
anyone know of a cure for this problem???

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Re:rear tyres rubbing on arches
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2004, 14:59 »
How far has it been lowered?
I'm running 195/50/15's on a mk2 that has been lowered 40mm without any problems.

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline davebatt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2004, 15:08 »
probably about 40mm, it only happens on the one side, its starting to do my head in and i don't want to knacker my new tyres.

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2004, 15:26 »
Don't suppose you have any sort of uneven load in the boot e.g. amps, subs etc?
It could be down to the stiffness of the lowering springs that were used perhaps you need some stiffer ones. Also were the shocks and their mounts replaced when it was lowered? If the strut mounts are knackered that could be a reason for it to sit slightly lower on one side and therefore rub.
One other thing to check.......do your wheels have the correct offset? If it is much lower than 35 they will sit out further and could cause a rubbing problem.

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

nogama3

« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2004, 14:38 »
does your car rub on the front or the back. I've lowered my mk3 TDi by 35mm with 17" 205/40/17's and it also was fine for 2 weeks and now rubs only on the offside (I already had my arches cut off). Having been to a couple of garages, they all recommended that I get the springs checked as they might be faulty (bilstein kit). Rang Euro Car Parts and they will send me a new set for replacement. Hope this works! I did have a set of 15's on my mk2 with an offset of et49 (vauxhall) but they didn't rub (car lowered 60mm). Get your springs checked mate.