Author Topic: Superchips & JKM day out 6/10  (Read 30843 times)

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
Re: Superchips & JKM day out 6/10
« Reply #70 on: 07 October 2008, 16:17 »
hi dan, nice to meet you the other day.

I asked them what power gains i was due to expect and that reply i posted is what they told me so dodged the question like any good politician, the answer is to put it on run it in for a few hundred miles and take it back to jkm one day when I got time of work!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #71 on: 07 October 2008, 16:29 »
By the looks of it, what we've learnt here is:

(a) they're capable of writing maps to deliver roughly what they quote

I don't agree.  They may be capable of writing maps to match their quoted outputs, but in reality, few seem to actually get these!

(b) their customer service is excellent

But that is sidestepping the main issue.  What peeps really need, and deserve - is that their actual core product is excellent.  And it is not.  As the old saying goes, there isn't much use closing the stable door after the horse has already escaped.

(c) they need to do some serious housekeeping on their servers, audit everything and importantly do it right first time (quite rightly pointed out by T_T) For existing users ensure the right map is there for each car and then contact every Bluefin owner and get them to do a remote update.

Hmmm . . . it is resonably clear to me that SuperChips actually know they are supplying "low power" maps as their "first choice", and only sort it after individual persons complain.  If they really want to "do the right thing", then they should be taking the first steps, and contacting owners directly, before the individuals have a chance to complain.  However, I strongly doubt they will do this, because their "core market" is very, very different to those of - say Revo, Oettinger, APR, Abt, etc.

They should be more pro-active in the latter, as it seems they're only responding when questioned - but what people need to do is go and speak to them if they have a problem like the OP.

And that is where one of the problems is.  What about all those SC customers who never put their cars on a RR?

:smiley:  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #72 on: 07 October 2008, 16:31 »
And when all this tinkering has been completed, this butchered map never gets sent back to its oringal makers!

The map in question from the r32oc forum was actually done at JBS, which is CC headquarters, so no worries there. The excessive tinkering, as i understand it, is part of their 'stage 2' where the customer can specify the kind of throttle response and drive they want. Personally I'd never use them for my R32 just because of the over-inflated price - and when i questioned them on that they justified it with cost of upfront equipment/development. (4 custom maps at that price = covered cost of hardware, development... but they're all custom, arent they?) I'll be using a trusted local tuner (r-tech) who charges sensible prices and offers realistic gains, all custom mapped while I watch over his shoulder on the rolling road :grin:

edit: and get free cups of tea.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 07 October 2008, 16:31 »
They tell me the new file i have to download is the correct file for my car, they didnt mention if i had the wrong one to start with ??, anyway will give it a try later and see how it goes

Have you ever RR'd yours?  Or is it the Mk1 "butt-dyno"?  :wink:  :smiley:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 07 October 2008, 16:36 »
They tell me the new file i have to download is the correct file for my car, they didnt mention if i had the wrong one to start with ??, anyway will give it a try later and see how it goes

Have you ever RR'd yours?  Or is it the Mk1 "butt-dyno"?  :wink:  :smiley:
nope and I don't plan to either

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 07 October 2008, 16:52 »
My map file is called "bluefin <chassis_no>.06T02420.org"

How does that match up?
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 07 October 2008, 16:53 »
And when all this tinkering has been completed, this butchered map never gets sent back to its oringal makers!

The map in question from the r32oc forum was actually done at JBS, which is CC headquarters, so no worries there.

JBS may be CC UK HQ, but CC maps are actually purchased from a company in Europe (I think it is the Netherlands, but I havn't really kept up to speed on them, because of the concerns I have - and you know what the schhhmmooooke over there!  :wink:  :evil:).  So you see my concern regarding the break in the chain regarding accountability?  :smiley:

The excessive tinkering, as i understand it, is part of their 'stage 2' where the customer can specify the kind of throttle response and drive they want.

OK, that is fair enough.

I don't have an issue of a map being "customised" for individual preference.  But my concern (aside the accountability) is the methods they use.  Rather than something like Revo or GIAC, which have pre-determined settings for the three major controls - CC just butcher the actual primary map - so in theory, every single CC map which has been tweaked will never be the same as another CC map.  Now let us - as an example, discover that Revo maps start blowing turbos on the GTI donkey (and that the actual Revo map is the cause).  Revo will know exactly what every GTI map has been set to, and this includes the "user customisations" from their SPS.  Revo will then know exactly what caused the problem, and more importantly, will know exactly what to do to correct the problem with their map - very quickly.  Imagine something similar happening with CC - you wouldn't stand a cat in hells chance of getting them to resolve the issue.  At the end of the day, we all have a choice, but we should all be allowed to make an "informed decision" - some may steer clear, and others may be still prepared to take the risk.

Personally I'd never use them for my R32 just because of the over-inflated price - and when i questioned them on that they justified it with cost of upfront equipment/development. (4 custom maps at that price = covered cost of hardware, development... but they're all custom, arent they?) I'll be using a trusted local tuner (r-tech) who charges sensible prices and offers realistic gains, all custom mapped while I watch over his shoulder on the rolling road :grin:

I suppose the word "custom" is seriously open to interpretation.  Is it the just map, or the whole car?  I personally don't mind "customising" my car, but I ain't gonna be a "beta tester" - so only things which are clearly "aftermarket", but then fixed at a certain "specification" will do for me!  :wink:  :smiley:

edit: and get free cups of tea.

Pah - no Bourbons or Custard Cremes - no way Jose!  :tongue:  :evil:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline tony_danza

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 07 October 2008, 17:09 »
By the looks of it, what we've learnt here is:

(a) they're capable of writing maps to deliver roughly what they quote

I don't agree.  They may be capable of writing maps to match their quoted outputs, but in reality, few seem to actually get these!

(b) their customer service is excellent

But that is sidestepping the main issue.  What peeps really need, and deserve - is that their actual core product is excellent.  And it is not.  As the old saying goes, there isn't much use closing the stable door after the horse has already escaped.

(c) they need to do some serious housekeeping on their servers, audit everything and importantly do it right first time (quite rightly pointed out by T_T) For existing users ensure the right map is there for each car and then contact every Bluefin owner and get them to do a remote update.

Hmmm . . . it is resonably clear to me that SuperChips actually know they are supplying "low power" maps as their "first choice", and only sort it after individual persons complain.  If they really want to "do the right thing", then they should be taking the first steps, and contacting owners directly, before the individuals have a chance to complain.  However, I strongly doubt they will do this, because their "core market" is very, very different to those of - say Revo, Oettinger, APR, Abt, etc.

They should be more pro-active in the latter, as it seems they're only responding when questioned - but what people need to do is go and speak to them if they have a problem like the OP.

And that is where one of the problems is.  What about all those SC customers who never put their cars on a RR?

:smiley:  :smiley:

Ahh, you've deconstructed this with the view I was actually defending SC - I wasn't.

I meant, if they implemented (c) and got their act together, coupled with what they already have in (a) and (b) they'd have a much better opinion on the forums than they appear to have now.

I don't know about your comment on them providing "Low Power" maps as a matter of course, I don't see why they would do this? what it achieves? and how it would be beneficial to them? One generic map doesn't cost any more than another. Word spreads on forums like wildfire, so customer perception is at serious risk - why knowingly destroy your image?... that just doesn't make sense to me.

What's more likely is they've ballsed up, maybe on a big batch of cars and that is now coming to light - which was always a risk of offering a remote service and not doing the work in person, as it's harder to quality check and is reliant on someone telling you it is working properly or not. if they'd have applied it to the car at HQ, they'd have known instantly it wasn't right.

Most users will have uploaded the Bluefin and initially seen a power increase, thought "yeah, that works!" and gone along happy as larry until they compare it to someone else's or RR it and find it's actually not what they expected. So what we've got is a load of people who've been b!tching and whining about their map, but haven't done anything about it - if they'd have contacted SC and told them, then they'd have rectified the situation as they've done with the OP.

Now there's been a few people doing this, they MUST be proactive and nip this in the bud. Check every car's map on the server, contact the owners and get them to change the map for the latest one (if necessary).

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #78 on: 07 October 2008, 17:15 »
map i am currently running is : 06T02665.stage1.mod  

new one they have sent me today is : 06T02665.Stage2DSG.mod

so it looks like that code is specific for individuals.

will have to wait and see if it makes a difference though not gonna be able to tell fully until i can get it dyno'd again....

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 07 October 2008, 17:15 »
I've now had an email (after sending them an email with my "old" map) from Michael Alvey-Anderson with a "Stage 2 Map for Edition 30 Manual with Exhaust".

Will upload it shortly and report back after a few days...
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30