Author Topic: Superchips & JKM day out 6/10  (Read 30836 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Superchips & JKM day out 6/10
« Reply #40 on: 06 October 2008, 20:52 »
Glad its all sorted telboy  :cool: :afro:

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #41 on: 06 October 2008, 21:01 »
nice result telboy , thanks for sharing
Good on superchips too for sorting out.

now bear with me, this is directed at all maps not just superchips , but in this case it is SC
Im not being negative but im not sure I believe the whole 'low power map' idea.
Is that the DSG version? Why would they even have a LP map? And how did it make it onto your car?
With stringent R&D and versioning this kinda thing doesnt just happen.
The whole thing 'bothers' me. Maybe they give out the LP may as a rule (most people will prob be happy and never question it), and only upgrade you to higher power map if you complain. Is this because the higher power map isnt good for the car?

Im sure there are more than a few SC owners out there running the LP map and dont even know it!

just my rantings , Im glad that for you this issue is sorted.

I have to agree with those sentiments, John.

The "LP" map which Superchips are supplying is obviously a low standard, but "safe" map.  And if peeps then complain, SC then supply their "less reliable" and less well developed "proper" map.

And I also don't agree with the "insurance" reasons for any such "low power" maps.  A remap is a remap in insurers eyes, and as far as I know, they don't really "allow" for any such low power maps.  Furthermore, reliable tuners have for years used "stage 1", "stage 2", ect to indicate logical power increases.

As I have repeatedly said before, the quality of SuperChips "out of the box" products are very poor when compared to other reputable tuners, and whilst their customer service is always highly commendable, this is always as a result of a problem.  Perhaps if Superchips put more time and effort into thoroughly developing their products - they just one day might actually get their products right the first time.  And they really need to stop peddling their blatant lies on their website.  :rolleyes:

As all the others have said thou - glad it is now sorted.  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline candy turbo

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 06 October 2008, 21:26 »
tt , i value your opinions quite highly cause its plain to see your a very clued up guy , who would you get to re map your car ?   :cool:
clubsport S no 215

Offline telboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 06 October 2008, 22:07 »
nice result telboy , thanks for sharing
Good on superchips too for sorting out.

now bear with me, this is directed at all maps not just superchips , but in this case it is SC
Im not being negative but im not sure I believe the whole 'low power map' idea.
Is that the DSG version? Why would they even have a LP map? And how did it make it onto your car?
With stringent R&D and versioning this kinda thing doesnt just happen.
The whole thing 'bothers' me. Maybe they give out the LP may as a rule (most people will prob be happy and never question it), and only upgrade you to higher power map if you complain. Is this because the higher power map isnt good for the car?

Im sure there are more than a few SC owners out there running the LP map and dont even know it!

just my rantings , Im glad that for you this issue is sorted.

I have to agree with those sentiments, John.

The "LP" map which Superchips are supplying is obviously a low standard, but "safe" map.  And if peeps then complain, SC then supply their "less reliable" and less well developed "proper" map.

And I also don't agree with the "insurance" reasons for any such "low power" maps.  A remap is a remap in insurers eyes, and as far as I know, they don't really "allow" for any such low power maps.  Furthermore, reliable tuners have for years used "stage 1", "stage 2", ect to indicate logical power increases.

As I have repeatedly said before, the quality of SuperChips "out of the box" products are very poor when compared to other reputable tuners, and whilst their customer service is always highly commendable, this is always as a result of a problem.  Perhaps if Superchips put more time and effort into thoroughly developing their products - they just one day might actually get their products right the first time.  And they really need to stop peddling their blatant lies on their website.  :rolleyes:

As all the others have said thou - glad it is now sorted.  :smiley:

Thanks,...I have to disagree though with your comment re the lower insurance reason as I know for a fact after calling my insurer that I would pay less for a map that gives a 10% increase on power than one of 20% or 30%, so in this instance I can understand where they're coming from.

Offline telboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #44 on: 06 October 2008, 22:08 »
Mate, great to hear you finally got it sorted. Musta been gutting when car when on the rollers.
Cheers mate, if only I knew then what I know now eh???

Offline telboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #45 on: 06 October 2008, 22:09 »
Glad its all sorted telboy  :cool: :afro:
Cheers, nice result on yours too mate :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #46 on: 06 October 2008, 22:52 »

Really pleased you got it sorted, telboy :smiley:

I think you would find it informative to get another plot at JKM to compare with Superchips.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2008, 22:55 by RedRobin »
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 06 October 2008, 23:22 »
tt , i value your opinions quite highly cause its plain to see your a very clued up guy ,

:rolleyes:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 07 October 2008, 00:03 »
Good result getting the map sorted :cool:

As for the low power map :undecided:

If I was in cynical mode, I'd be tempted to believe that they'd given you a standard GTI map and then realised when you brought it in that it was an ED30 :wink:

« Last Edit: 07 October 2008, 08:25 by Phil Mcavity »
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #49 on: 07 October 2008, 00:09 »
tt , i value your opinions quite highly cause its plain to see your a very clued up guy , who would you get to re map your car ?   :cool:

For the GTI, only REVO.  And for my RS4 - dunno, but again probably Revo.  But for both, the remap would be done after hardware mods such as Milltek.

I certainly wouldn't touch CC either.  Their agents just purchase the maps online from Europe, and then tweak the maps themselves.  So there is no accountability with CC, unlike say Revo or even Superchips, whos maps actually go back to Revo or SC when they are customised.

HTH, but it is just my POV thou.  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo