Author Topic: swapping top mounts  (Read 1318 times)

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
swapping top mounts
« on: 12 August 2008, 20:43 »
Hi all, so after having a garage fit my new coilovers I'm getting a nasty clunky noise from the suspension.. Mainly the front.

I didn't stick new mounts on when they put the suspension on as I was told it all looked fine as the car has only covered 47k..

Well to try and get rid of this horrible noise it looks like changing the top mounts may be on the cards.

How do I do it? And is it much work for someone with no experience at all? Im hoping it's just an unbolt>replace>rebolt procedure!

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: swapping top mounts
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2008, 21:18 »
you need a "special vw tool" for removing the slotted nut apparently, you can get them on ebay for little money.

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Gloves88

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2008, 09:07 »
Not got round to putting my coilovers on yet but have been reading that clunking sounds after fitting them is quite common. Its because the the top of the sus doesnt quite fit right into the bottom of the mounts.

What you need to do is fit some large washers between the tops of you coilies and the bottom of the mounts....

It doesn’t look too hard to change over the sus, or top mounts for that matter...so you should manage. Going to put together a guide once I’ve done mine. You will pretty much have re-do everything you paid the garage to do however...

EDIT: Is it mainly when you go over bumps that it’s clunking?
« Last Edit: 13 August 2008, 09:17 by Gloves88 »

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2008, 10:37 »
how about some spring compressors?

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Gloves88

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2008, 11:22 »
how about some spring compressors?

If coilovers are fitted already spring compressors shouldnt be needed....or am i getting this wrong?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2008, 13:23 »
depends on how the coilies are put together, but in my experience (i.e. the set I fitted to a mates car) there is no need for compressors as the top spring mount is bolted down seperate from the top mount.

edit: gsf do the slotted nut tool as well, come in a set o 3.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline bigman_10

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2008, 13:33 »

hi mate i got this problem when putting mine on! i pressume its on the front that the most noise is heard?

my problem was i used the top and bottom nuts supplied with the coilovers, the bottom nut however that fits in the top mount on standed suspension is slotted, unlike the one supplied. (hence VW special tool, but i got an old piece of pipe and hacked it up to fit the shape)

if the garage have used the bottom nut supplied with the coilovers then it makes the clunking sound. this is because the slotted nut that should be used sits inside the top mount and and holds the coilover in the top mount bearing allowing it to move freely. the supplied nut sits ontop of the mount so the bearing is rendered useless and the clunking you hear is the top mount rubbing on the inside of the chassis.

Does it make this noise more when doing 3 point turns etc?

to check if they have fitted the right nut take the strut caps off the top off your suspension and if the top nut you you sits very high on the thread then they wont have used the slotted nut (it sits higher with the supplied nut because it sits ontop of the mount rather than inside).

i've got pictures of when i did mine i'm at work atm so i'll find them when i get back! :wink:

hope it helps and feel free to pm me if your stuck!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2008, 13:51 »

Offline Gloves88

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2008, 14:03 »
98744 STRUT NUT TOOL 3PC  GENERAL USE***  8.90  Add 

I'm assuming this is the tool? Is it essential?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2008, 14:20 »
no you can bash it round with a hammer & chisel/screwdriver or similar!