Author Topic: Only post if you have or had 17"/18" Replica Alloys on your GTI/R32  (Read 3531 times)

Offline maxamus

• I live here
I know the GTI's and the R32's have an offset of ET51 but generally the replicas have offsets of 35/40/45/48.
Has this affected your ride in any way?
Have you had any issues with not having the standard offsets ?

Offline PabloGTI

• Not said much yet
Hi,

I have had some replicas from rochdale tyres with the 45 offset.

They do stick out a little further, but not really noticable. The ride as far as I can tell is unaffected. But the quality of the finish was crap, and didnt last a winter without the laquer peeling. You may need to factor in tha cost of getting them powder coated after a year into the cost of ownership.

Offline T30GUE

• Not said much yet
Just fitted a set of 18'' Monza reps from Rochford tyres. they are 8x18'' ET 45 offset fitted with  225/40/18's. I have noticed that the wheels sit out a little further in the arch but looks like they are filling them a little more to me. (I used to have an S3 and a Mk4 GTi Anni, everyone put 10mm hubcentric spacers on these cars to give cars a wider chunkier look.)  

Correct me if I am wrong but ET51 wheels are only 6mm different, so I guess my whells are sitting out a further 6mm each than before. Don't see any harm in that.

Not really noticed any change in handling or steering to be honest , car looks much better on the 18's though!  

Finish and quality of wheels is excellent, most will not be able to tell they are reps.  

As for the weight issue, they did seem fractionally heavier that the 17's that came off, but the new alloys are wider and bigger, so as expected really.

Don't think it will make as much difference to the car as the holiday weight I am still carrying!

:tongue:

Offline maxamus

• I live here
Thanks guys.

Did yous get the diamond cut ones with the darker insides?

They are the ones im opting for. Local shop can do them for £340. I was going to get some Perilli Russo tyres for them but they are like £120 each so im going to have to go for a cheaper option.

Which tyres are you guys using with your replicas?

Isnt the difference from ET51s to ET45's that they sit more closer to the axle by 6mm? or is 6mm the difference they stick out of the arch by?

If they stick 6mm further out then that wount even be noticeable. Its neither here or there.

The only thing that worries me about the two-tone ones is that if i end up kerbing them they will not be able to be refurbed. And im sure i will eventually end up kerbing them  :embarassed:

PS. Whats the difference between the polished finish and the diamond-cut ones?

Rochford are doing:
4 * Brand New 8x18" Golf GTI Style Polished Alloy Wheels. Fitted with Brand New Premium Performance 225/40/18 Tyres. Fitments available 5x112/57-1 et45. Price includes bolts, caps & badges. for £455 which is damn good.
Its £215 for just the alloys.

Which package did you guys choose from Rockford Tyres?

PS. I would be grateful if you guys could post some pics of your replicas
« Last Edit: 01 November 2007, 21:34 by maxamus »

Offline Incitatus

• Not said much yet
I got my wheels from Prestige Wheel & Tyre (www.lovethosewheels.co.uk) in Birmingham. They are ET45 which means they stick out 6mm further than standard but are still well within the arch. I'm using Eagle F1 tyres and frankly the handling and ride is absolutely fine. I am concerned about corrosion but I've waxed them and applied a protective sealant and we'll see what happens over the winter. I figured that even if they corrode I can buy four more new wheels and still only approach half the cost of the OEM wheels that corrode anyway.

Offline datracer99

• Not said much yet
18x8 Audi Reps, ET45. Wearing 225x40s.
No impact on ride or handling, and fill out the guards perfectly.

« Last Edit: 02 November 2007, 05:44 by datracer99 »

Offline T30GUE

• Not said much yet
Went through the upgrade tyres with the guy from Rochford. they seemed to be pushing Avon ZZ3's for an £80 upgrade. I have seen these on friends cars and would not pay extra for them. Also offering Toyo TR1-R as upgrade but I felt they were too soft. In the end I went for a kumho which apparanlt came 5th in EVO's tyre test on a GTI. I managed to negotiate these in the deal for £480 delivered. Pleased with them so far!

If the wheels corrode you can purchase more for the cost of a refurb (about £200) and maybe powder coat them!

If you are anything like me the wheels will end up with the odd scuff within 18months so replacing them for another set will be the best option for me.

Good luck.

Will try to get a pic up for you later. (Still a nOOb!)

Offline maxamus

• I live here
Thanks T30GUE

Very helpful. I think i might get the same package as you did as £480 is a good deal. I might have to pay another few bob to get them fitted.

Are the replicas the two-tone ones with the slightly darker insides (as the originals)?
« Last Edit: 02 November 2007, 14:58 by maxamus »

Offline maxamus

• I live here
But the quality of the finish was crap,

which alloys did you get from them?

Offline joesgti

• I live here
just letting you know that kumhos are ca@p!! ive had them on my gti as i got some replicas and they are utter sh!t. goodyear eagle f1's or michellin piolet would be the best bet!! there is no control and just front wheel spin in the wet with kumho tyers!!  :smiley:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )