Author Topic: Fueling issues on mk1 cab  (Read 5589 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Fueling issues on mk1 cab
« on: 09 December 2005, 17:12 »
Need help people - going mad today on this....!!!

Right my black mk1 golf cab (1992) which has had a lot of work done to it over the last 3 weeks including having the engine taken out and put back in today :) isn't starting up properly! It fires up for a second and dies and then just turns over for ages then fire up for a second and then turns over - until battery dies!!!

I've checked the following.

1. There is fuel in the tank :)
2. Fuel pump is pumping fuel to the Fuel filter at engine area so we have pressure building up as it should be.
3. Fuel is going into the CIS unit.
4. Fuel is going into the warm up regulator (front of engine) one connection
5. Seems no fuel is coming out of the regulator (front of engine) second connection :(
6.There seems to be no fuel going from CIS unit to the injectors in the head unit - as taken out spark plugs and they are bone dry and no fuel is on the top of the pistons when turning over car, with the sparks plugs taken out and a light down holes to see if petrol is there. :(

So what I need to understand is from people - is there a detailed site or discussion or does someone knows, more on the mk1 CIS fueling process so I can understand how the fueling is passing - so I can figure out what the issue is.

thanks Si.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2005, 17:15 by Madone »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
Re: Fueling issues on mk1 cab
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2005, 17:22 »
Just found these two sites - http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm & http://www.vwgolfmk1.co.uk/Main/Testinjectors.htm - very useful - but still want to get idea's from people experiences? thanks
« Last Edit: 09 December 2005, 17:35 by Madone »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline 10:27

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2005, 18:25 »
you may have done this already but when my distributor broke i had the same problems the wires inside snapped so you never know!

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2005, 18:42 »
Spark is strong - so no issues there, just no fuel from CIS to injectors or from the return warm up regulator.
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

tomo320

« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2005, 21:44 »
hi mate, why did u take engine out in first place? have you changed any parts while its been out? if your regulator was fine before u removed engine cant see it being that, it aint a 'earth' or 'coil' prob is it?

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2005, 15:58 »
So today it seems there is no fuel getting to the input of the fuel filter at the engine end. Does anyone know if the fuel pump on mk1 golf cabs makes a load noise when working?

To your question on engine taking out. This was so I could spray the engine area. :) No parts or cables in the engine area have been replaced as the car was working and running fine before engine was taken out.

Earthing is fine as is coil.

I think its the fuel pump working a bit and dying - but really need to know how to test it as its a B*stard to remove.... (lots of pipes!!!)
« Last Edit: 10 December 2005, 16:05 by Madone »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

tomo320

« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2005, 20:50 »
it should prime when u turn ignition on mate (should be able to hear it), but even if its noisey it dont mean its knackered, they can last years like that.  wheres last place from tank you know you are getting a good flow of fuel?

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2005, 21:05 »
At the moment I've got to the point were I need to move the car outside tomorrow from my garage and check the fuel pump itself - so can make sure its pumping fuel out of the pump for starters (weird how yesterday the pump was pumping fuel to the front of the car!!).

There seems to be no fuel coming into or out of the Fuel filter, which is the next step after the fuel pump/acculator so next step back is the pump itself. I also need to check the filter in the tank itself and make sure there isn;t a load of crap in the tank that has blocked up the pipes... I hope that's not it as I'll have to take tank off and pump and clean out and then do same on the pipes....

The joy of cars!!!! hehe

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2005, 13:38 »
 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

My cab is working all again.... and the issue was the Fuel pump relay (No2 in the relay/fuse unit) - I used the following details to test the whole system - http://www.vwgolfmk1.co.uk/Main/Testinjectors.htm

I also found that the relay I took out had burnt the relay unit it plugged into so had to clean that, then take out and replace wires going into the back of the unit - 4 cables had to replace! That was fun NOT!  :rolleyes:

Soon as I took my fuel pump from my other cab and put in the car after cleaning and replacing cables at the back of the unit - fuel was delivered to the front of the car and it fired up straight away.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

So now I'm going to go for a long drive with my new looking cab!!  :grin: :grin:

I'm going to write up a how to - troubleshoot fueling issues - as I also found a hidden filter that isn't in the haynes manual that is between the fuel pump and the accumlator. That filter was full of crap and holds back the fuel going to the front the car.  :smiley: :smiley:

« Last Edit: 11 December 2005, 13:43 by Madone »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

tomo320

« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2005, 17:30 »
nice one mate!