Author Topic: Dealer charges  (Read 143 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Dealer charges
« on: 23 October 2024, 22:47 »
I just need to share something and get it off my chest but might show my naivety with dealer charges for work done.

Some time back I mentioned that I had an issue with some interior trim where it was bubbling up and peeling when it was exposed to bright sunlight - the parts are the centre console (the matt great surface around the cupholder and EPB button) and the two side pieces - since when I first complained about this I noticed the EPB button had micro-cracks over the Auto-Hold wording which hasn't been caused by anything dropping on it (more of that later).

I raised a warrantee claim for these as no other part of the interior trim had been affected so to me was a defect - unsurprisingly the claim was turned down but the reason given was that I had caused it by spraying silicone on the trim!! I politely said that this was complete BS but that didn't change anything (they even relieved me of £120 for that diagnosis).

I've now decided to have the parts changed as I can't live with them and I'll be keeping my car for as long as I'm able to - my annoyance is around the fact that to replace the centre console you first need to remove the two side trims but my dealer is going to charge me a book time of 1/2 hour to replace them even though they have to come off as part of the work to replace the console - which I think is unfair.

Now the story with the EPB button - my parts department have told me this part is on backorder because of two things - firstly they have said the GTI button is the same part as the one that comes in a Tiguan and they've had some kind of issue ?recall that has used all of the stock up - plus (apparently) the VW EPB buttons all came from their factory based in..... Ukraine, and the factory is now a pile of rubble so the buttons and other parts are having to be made else where which has added to the backlog.

My other problem is that I thought on a Golf the centre console had to come out to replace the EPB button so it would make sense to have this done at the same time which of course I can only do once the part comes in - or can anyone tell me if the button can be changed without pulling the console?

I'm just trying to avoid being charged 'twice' for work to replace parts that have to come off anyway as part of the main replacement work - or is this now standard practice?
2019 Golf GTI PP DSG, Isaac Blue, TCR spoiler.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Dealer charges
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:18 »
Have taken the centre console apart to fit rear usb charging points. Yes the console has to be partially taken apart to change the EPB button as the holding clips cannot be accessed otherwise. It can be a diy job. There is a helpful video on the net.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Dealer charges
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:48 »
Thanks that's what I thought as well - dealer wants two hours book time to change the centre console and then on top of that 1/2 an hour for the side pieces even though they have to come off to access the console - I suspect they'll also try to charge to change the EPB again even though has to come off to change the centre console - to me this is double charging.
2019 Golf GTI PP DSG, Isaac Blue, TCR spoiler.