Author Topic: Regens?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Regens?
« on: 16 July 2024, 14:58 »
Have any of you mk8 owners noticed regens?

In three years of my Clubsport I didn’t notice it once, doing around 9-10k a year, mostly just pootling about commuting or stuck behind tourists.

In just under 7 months I noticed this morning my R started its second regen.
I’m assuming it’s a regen anyway, no visible notifications from the car but the fuel consumption and range is dropping quickly and the car wants to sit at around 2k RPM most of the time.

The thing is, it drives GREAT in regen!
The DSG actually keeps the gears in the range so the turbo is constantly spooled and producing decent boost from the off. It certainly wakes the car up a bit.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
Re: Regens?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2024, 15:07 »
What you're describing sounds like what was introduced on the R20.
Is it possible that its been altered via an incognito update?

I'm probably way off the mark as usual but what you're describing sounds like that.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2024, 17:34 »
I see your line of thought there Dave but I’m pretty sure the R20 has hardware changes too, although with VW’s notoriously vague information releases it’s anyone’s guess.
Admittedly there have been odd changes to the car following software updates, the strangest being that the car didn’t ever freewheel until after an OTA update at around four or five months. Now it can be slotted into E mode and it’ll do it on demand.
I’d imagine the R20 anti-lag works at slightly higher RPMs more (above 2000rpm? - Tractor Dave could you confirm?) rather than the gearbox deliberately keeping revs higher to put extra heat into the exhaust system. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2024, 20:58 »
I am convinced my R does regens but it’s a 23plate std. It doesn’t do 2k rpm ones, more like 1400rpms.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2024, 23:33 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2024, 18:18 »
Seems to have settled down again today, still doing crap MPG figures though.

And another OTA update underway. The third one in the last couple months.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2024, 16:02 »
And another OTA update underway. The third one in the last couple months.

Changing page 37 of the legal terms document that nobody clicks on in the online shop....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2024, 21:08 »
Sounds about right Fred!

Still not sure if it was actually OPF regenerating ajmoir36, but thanks for your feedback on your car.
The car definitely still seems to be far more perky coupled with crap fuel consumption. I’ll take perky, perky is good.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner