Author Topic: Hot Hatch World Cup  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Hot Hatch World Cup
« Reply #30 on: 04 January 2023, 07:53 »
I'm starting to think Chris Harris was right when he said "And to those saying it - yes I totally agree a mk.7.5 appeals far more. Will probably be remembered as the last great Golf GTi. Strange times"
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 04 January 2023, 19:18 »

Wow, that clio must’ve been an absolute lemon to be less reliable than an alfa.

The clios were great hatchbacks- and that one looks a beauty.

We have had around 16 Alfa's in the family over the last 20 or so years, all of them have been pretty reliable. No less reliable than any other car that we have owned really.

I think they get a bad rep because they don't tolerate neglect as well as some cars. For example drive them for months without checking the oil and you are going to get bitten on the backside, but looked after they are fine.

The Renault electrics were a joke, the wiring looked like an accident in a Spaghetti Factory.

I have more confidence in the reliability of the Wife's Giulietta than I do in the Golf. The Alfa has never suffered a leaking water pump or a clutch pedal getting stuck to the floor.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 04 January 2023, 19:57 »

Wow, that clio must’ve been an absolute lemon to be less reliable than an alfa.

The clios were great hatchbacks- and that one looks a beauty.

We have had around 16 Alfa's in the family over the last 20 or so years, all of them have been pretty reliable. No less reliable than any other car that we have owned really.

I think they get a bad rep because they don't tolerate neglect as well as some cars. For example drive them for months without checking the oil and you are going to get bitten on the backside, but looked after they are fine.

The Renault electrics were a joke, the wiring looked like an accident in a Spaghetti Factory.

I have more confidence in the reliability of the Wife's Giulietta than I do in the Golf. The Alfa has never suffered a leaking water pump or a clutch pedal getting stuck to the floor.

Yeah it was a slightly tongue in cheek comment tbh.

I’ve had 2 alfas- they were both fine, no significant issues.

That said, I’m sure german cars are better built than Italian ones. Or french ones for that matter. I think that’s what you mean by “ don’t tolerate neglect as well as some “

@willni posted a good reply recently to a question about the golf 7 reliability. Summary was- if you look after it, it’ll look after you!

I remember reading the reliability surveys done in the 90s ( Jd power?) and often seeing Skoda at the top of that and some of the premium brands lower down. I remember thinking these surveys say more about the owners- and their expectations- than it does about the cars themselves.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 04 January 2023, 21:34 »
German cars definitely have better built interiors, the Giulietta we have feels decidedly low rent. But the oily bits are decent, except for how they have laid out things like the filters which makes it hard to service.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 07 January 2023, 14:21 »
German cars definitely have better built interiors, the Giulietta we have feels decidedly low rent. But the oily bits are decent, except for how they have laid out things like the filters which makes it hard to service.

I was in a Cupra Born the other day and it was like the MKVIII, lots of hard plastics and scratchy feels.

If you've ever had to drain a washer fluid bottle in a MKVIIx Golf, you'll take the lay out comment back. It's an awful assembly that routes through all the dead space in the engine. Classic example of design by designer not mechanic. Still don't know why they don't provide a drain plug and provide an owner accessible point. Well, I do but I don't like it.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 07 January 2023, 14:41 »

I was in a Cupra Born the other day and it was like the MKVIII, lots of hard plastics and scratchy feels.

If you've ever had to drain a washer fluid bottle in a MKVIIx Golf, you'll take the lay out comment back. It's an awful assembly that routes through all the dead space in the engine. Classic example of design by designer not mechanic. Still don't know why they don't provide a drain plug and provide an owner accessible point. Well, I do but I don't like it.

I did have a Mk2 Leon FR a couple of years back and the interior plastics were similar to the Giulietta. Hard and scratchy, but unlike the Alfa no rattles.

Hopefully I won't have to drain that washer bottle. I would be tempted to drill a hole and fit a plug to seal it back up after.

With the Alfa you need to remove the rear section of undertray to drain the oil, the front section of undertray (Hundreds of screws) to do the air filer, and if you do the oil filter the driver side wheel and wheelarch liner needs to come out. Then when it is undone oil pi$$es all over the subframe and suspension arm.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2023, 14:44 by symonh2000 »
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 07 January 2023, 15:28 »

Why not just pump or syphon the water out?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 07 January 2023, 15:51 »

Why not just pump or syphon the water out?

I tried that, and the dipstick tube isn't over the lowest part of the sump. So my Pela extractor left behind over 1 litre of old oil.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 07 January 2023, 15:54 »
I was questioning the post on draining the washer bottle👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 07 January 2023, 15:55 »
Yes my bad I realised after I posted.  :embarrassed:
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i