Author Topic: Autowatch Ghost - Anyone using?  (Read 5772 times)

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
Re: Autowatch Ghost - Anyone using?
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2017, 13:13 »
Yes, I am using it and am very happy with it. After having my car stolen and feeling very wary about buying another decent motor.

Yes, I have totally upgraded all door and window locks on the house, security lighting, etc and feel more at ease at home now but I still had that still small fear about the car being stolen again so I got the Ghost fitted and also use a Stoplock (for visual deterrent).
Additionally I have a dummy car key left in clear view - hopefully they will take that first and think the battery must have died.

If they do get the real key and try to start the car then the engine will start but cut out when put in gear and a diagnostic fault light pops up.

All in all this is all delaying tactics and hopefully will convince them to scarper as it will all be taking too long.

I had a tracker on my stolen car and it never done any good as the car has never been recovered.

At the end of the day iot has given me peace of mind and I can sleep much easier of a night now.
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2017, 18:10 »
That's good input, thanks  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline sadsac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2018, 10:21 »
I follow the Stolen Cars UK group on Facebook

Ghost has been bypassed on two OEMs recently and had to be updated so is a bit circumspect. The first was 2 high performance Ford Focus'

Clifford Blackjax seems highly recommended

If keyless make sure you aren't vulnerable to the new relay theft where they don't even need to break in to your house (e.g. keep keys in cheap faraday bags). I have keyless and wouldn't spec it again given the security issues with it hitting the headlines recently

Make sure that any euro cylinder locks (usual in UPVC doors) on your house are anti snap (otherwise you can be broken in to very easily and it is a relatively cheap, quick and simple DIY fix via upgraded cylinders - I've gone for ABS Avocet which come highly recommended)
2016 GTD DSG deep black pearl discover pro dynaudio climate windscreen adv tel prep parking pack

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2024, 07:32 »
Anyone currently got a ghost or pandora fitted to a mk8?
Just deciding on which route and would like some feedback on any issues or problems etc.

Pm me if you would rather not post on here.

TIA
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2024, 08:20 »
What about a Revo SPS switch. Anti theft mode just takes a few seconds. I think they are £150.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2024, 08:32 »
I’ve got a security post on the driveway and a disklock. I’ve also got a tracker fitted that includes an immobiliser I can turn on and off from my phone. All the previous posts re. visual deterrents are 100% spot on imo. I have the tracker as it was an insurance requirement on a previous car and I kept the contract going when I got the GTI (newer unit fitted incl. the immobiliser). I also wouldn’t want it back if it was stolen but I do everything I can to prevent that - sadly my postcode is classified as a high risk of theft☹️.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2024, 12:41 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline pixelcellar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2024, 10:10 »
I've been curious about getting a tracker or probably a better choice, an immobiliser. I currently rely on locking my car and touching the sensor (within a few seconds) which as far as I'm aware prevents the key usage. For example once done, just walking up to the car doesn't unlock it but if I don't touching the handle opens the car.

Anyone know if locking in this way still makes you vulnerable to relay theft? I've always assumed that it wouldn't matter if they did scan and clone the keys signal, they'd need the physical key to open the car.

Thankfully don't live in a high crime area but I'd be gutted if someone got their hands on my TCR; I do have multiple cameras around the house so maybe their presence has put potential thieves off but who knows?
2024 - Current: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi TCR 286bhp, 5dr, Pure Grey, 7spd DSG, 19" Oz Ultraleggera HLT Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Side Assist, Rear View Camera
2020 - 2024: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 245bhp, 3dr, Deep Black Pearl, 6spd Manual, 19" Brescia Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Rear View Camera
2017 - 2020: 2017 Mk5 Polo GTi 190bhp, 3dr, Metallic Black, 6spd Manual, 17" Santiago Alloys

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2024, 12:48 »
I've been curious about getting a tracker or probably a better choice, an immobiliser. I currently rely on locking my car and touching the sensor (within a few seconds) which as far as I'm aware prevents the key usage. For example once done, just walking up to the car doesn't unlock it but if I don't touching the handle opens the car.

Anyone know if locking in this way still makes you vulnerable to relay theft? I've always assumed that it wouldn't matter if they did scan and clone the keys signal, they'd need the physical key to open the car.

Thankfully don't live in a high crime area but I'd be gutted if someone got their hands on my TCR; I do have multiple cameras around the house so maybe their presence has put potential thieves off but who knows?

Decent visual deterrent all the time, car thieving scrotes are lazy, they’ll just go and look elsewhere.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.