Author Topic: Edition 40???  (Read 29134 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: Edition 40???
« Reply #120 on: 18 May 2015, 13:21 »
I have also just thought that if the fog lights are omitted on the edition 40 in lieu of having Air intake ducts the front light units at the very least will have to be changed to something like the Golf R so the fogs are within the unit instead.

Hopefully they change the design with the black line down the side of the Golf GTI club sport design.  It just doesn't look as premium as the regular GTI design.  It's very much a case of less is more with GTI's which it seems they have not taken on board when designing the club sport. 

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 18 May 2015, 13:31 »
Interesting thoughts about a face-lift. Will VW bother with a facelift or will the mk8 essentially be a facelift MQB car? I'm wondering if the mk8 will be like the mk6 and just a facelift previous generation model. Who knows?!!

As for the black stripe - this is to pay homage to the mk1 and mk2 which had the lower door stripe and often features on the Worthersee models. An awful lot of GTI's at Worthersee are classic GTI owners so I expect the stripes go down well with them but would unlikely be used on a production model unless feedback was overwhelmingly positive from their customer panels they use.

The one thing that makes me take note is the way the lower bumper is styled more like the Polo GTI in the direction of the upright painted bits. On the current Golf GTI it still goes in the mk5 and mk6 direction making a V or a Beetle Bonnet shape but the Clubsport has the uprights in the opposite direction like the R and Polo GTI. I prefer the former as it looks a bit prettier.
As the bumper strakes on the GTI ape the R8 strakes, and the facelift R8 has a different lower bumper style I'd guess the GTI might follow the trend. It's funny how the various VAG models borrow bits of styling - the biggest one for me was how much VW toned down the IROC front end before Scirocco production and then the current sporty Audis all stole the IROC front end with the big prominent diamond shape.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #122 on: 18 May 2015, 15:09 »
I have also just thought that if the fog lights are omitted on the edition 40 in lieu of having Air intake ducts the front light units at the very least will have to be changed to something like the Golf R so the fogs are within the unit instead.

Hopefully they change the design with the black line down the side of the Golf GTI club sport design.  It just doesn't look as premium as the regular GTI design.  It's very much a case of less is more with GTI's which it seems they have not taken on board when designing the club sport.

Golf R doesn't have fogs at all and tbh with xenons they're fairly useless anyway imo.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 18 May 2015, 15:15 »

Golf R doesn't have fogs at all and tbh with xenons they're fairly useless anyway imo.
Indeed. They're only present on the GTI/D because those models come with halogens in most markets. They do have their uses for lighting up the verges on winding roads but are mainly a styling thing. A grey GTD passed me yesterday in bright sunlight with its fogs on. Enough said.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #124 on: 18 May 2015, 16:25 »
I do think it'd be worth seeing if the front splitter will fit a normal GTI though, it would finish the front off perfectly on the standard bumper.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #125 on: 18 May 2015, 20:29 »
:grin: You honestly don't expect an answer that will clarify things do you?

Had a phone call from a very nice lady from VW uk today. Quite impressed that she took the time to phone me. Anyway she did tell me what she knew about the Edition 40. She also told me about what she knew about the launch date and the number of cars being built. She also said she had discussed with all her colleagues in the VW uk office.

Her answer .... no idea  :smiley:
But she did offer some helpful advice  :wink:  Keep checking the VW website  :smiley: quality !!
64 plate VW Golf GTI PP Pure white
1991 VW Golf GTI 8v Silver, 30k miles

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 19 May 2015, 09:07 »
Just been catching up, do I want one - I will have to wait and see when VW provide details of final cost and spec. I hope the interior makes it. I do think that the Spoiler is a bit shopping trolley ish but I thought they may have gone for some lightweight rims as opposed to the diamond cut ones that look a bit R line to me.

speaking of R Line - did anyone see the R Line Colour Concept

http://gti-woerthersee-en.tumblr.com/#119102848990

havent seen a colour concept since the limited MK3 run.

Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 19 May 2015, 09:46 »
i strangely like that...
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #128 on: 19 May 2015, 15:35 »
i strangely like that...
Full R spec, lowered suspension and rear spacers are helping that look. Crafty f*ckers at VW!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #129 on: 19 May 2015, 17:43 »
Interesting thoughts about a face-lift. Will VW bother with a facelift or will the mk8 essentially be a facelift MQB car? I'm wondering if the mk8 will be like the mk6 and just a facelift previous generation model. Who knows?!!

I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that VAG were aiming for this way of doing things from now on - a "completely new" model every 5 years, which reading between the lines is their way of saying the MK7's facelift will be called the MK8, and we'll only see a big jump in tech and bodystyles every 2 generations. Would certainly fit with our current expectations of the MK8 hitting the dealerships in 2017 - it wouldn't be worth facelifting the MK7 with the MK8 only 2 years away.

The MK6 was a facelift in all but name - a new steering wheel, very slightly updated door cards and dash, very minor external changes (which were not to my taste - it all went a bit Japanese looking and lost the aggressive look that the performance front end of the MK5 had) - and the all important money saving building techniques.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.