Author Topic: Whoosh and lag  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
Whoosh and lag
« on: 07 August 2014, 23:11 »
A technical term I know, but does anyone else hear the turbo at circa 2-2.5k rpm on mid throttle loads?  It's  not a whine or whistle more of a, well, whoosh.  The sound actuator is disconnected so it can't be that.

Another thing is that when accelerating briskly through the gears there seems to be lag when the next gear is selected. Eg 2nd, foot down, into third, wait and then off again.  It's only slight but it's like the car takes a breath and then gets back in its stride.  Quite different in character to my previous 320d. 

Everyone else's the same?
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
Re: Whoosh and lag
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2014, 08:36 »
It is nice u have the dump valve fitted from Vdubs at no extra cost init!!!

Joking aside I have the GTD and do not have any of the symptoms you mention - time for the garage me thinks!
GTD -  Tornado Red - Dynaudio - Winterpack - Mans Gearbox!

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2014, 09:22 »
Thanks, I wonder if it's just me being daft? I was a driving a TVR 4.0 V8 and a naturally aspirated Mini Cooper 1.6 for 4 months whilst waiting for delivery. I may have become super sensitive to any slight turbo lag.  I think you can spot it on the up changes in this video, very slight but I think it is noticeable.  Change up, boost drops off slightly, then the engine wakes up.  I may be being picky ;) The wife is getting the new turbo Cooper and I noticed straight away the lag compared the old NA 1.6, so again maybe I just need adjustment :)

http://youtu.be/Iaq5TP-Fr8s
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline Mohsin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2014, 17:59 »
Yeah Think you may have become sensitive - I've come from a civic Type R to the GTD and it felt super laggy at the start!
2014 Golf GTD
2010 Civic Type R Mugen - Sold
2004 Leon FR PD150 - Sold

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2014, 20:16 »
Yeah Think you may have become sensitive - I've come from a civic Type R to the GTD and it felt super laggy at the start!

Out of interest how do the GTD and Type R compare? totally different engines I know but still interested to hear a comparison...
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2014, 11:07 »

Thanks.  I'll keep on eye on it, but I think you're right, I've become adjusted to petrol zero lag. I'm probably hearing an imaginary waste gate too  :grin:

Offline Mohsin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2014, 15:37 »

Out of interest how do the GTD and Type R compare? totally different engines I know but still interested to hear a comparison...

Type R - I have a personal soft spot for these iconic engines. Always always wanted one since I started driving so I might be a tiny bit biased but here goes - very sensitive throttle, light flywheel so takes a lot of getting used to coming off the throttle and feeling the car jolt forward because the revs drop so quickly. Extremely rewarding when you learn how to drive it 'properly'. I know many people who have driven them and thought they were utter pants because of the minimal torque and not taking time to get used to it. However, once you know where the sweet spot of the VTEC is and how to keep it there using the gears, it is an absolute joy. You have to be committed though. It takes time to get used to, and at the start I was a tiny bit disappointed with the lack of torque coming from a 1.9 tdi PD150 engine. However, I learnt to adore it once I knew exactly how to move up the gears and how to heal-toe dropping gears. Fuel wise, it wasn't amazing but not too bad considering it was so high-revving. Normally averaged 31mpg on a mix of driving.

GTD - sort of knew what to expect because I have had a high(ish) powered turbo diesel before. However, it still surprised me how 'soft' the throttle felt compared to the Type R. It also felt like it took an age for it to go up the rev band, but then quickly remembered how to drive it 'on the torque' and how it is completely the opposite to the Type R. I learnt that I had to completely forget the 'stamp the throttle and wait for the limiter' driving style. In a straight line, I think the Type R might be a tiny bit faster from a standing start due to better traction off the line and the revving nature meaning not having to change gears as often as the GTD. Rolling along, in gear acceleration I think the GTD would be a bit quicker. Around the bends, the GTD would have absolutely no chance catching up to the Type R. The GTD doesn't need as much concentration to get the most out of it, whereas with the Type R, you can bounce off the limiter so quickly which blunts its performance. Also due to this it makes changing gears at the right time more of a challenge.

As an everyday, comfortable, do-everything sort of car, the GTD is the obvious winner. But there is no comparison to the rawness, sound and excitement of the Type R. Of course, that isn't for everyone though!

As you said they are two cars you wouldn't normally compare, but it still is good to do so because at the end of the day, that's what being a car enthusiast is all about :)
2014 Golf GTD

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2014, 08:29 »
I agree those VTEC engines are stunning... but by the time of the Civic you had they'd lost much of their rawness... I drove one of them regularly...

I had two Integra Type-Rs and a S2000 and they had a proper step in the power...

It is not about absolute torque in any case, all VTEC engined Hondas are relatively short geared, magnifying the torque they have compared to a relatively long geared diesel. I'm not saying this evens out but the effective difference is not as much as you might think...

Remember that POWER = TORQUE x REVS that means that a car putting out 150bhp at 3K RPM will have twice the torque of a car putting out 150bhp at 6K and assuming their going at the same speed in a particular gear the latter will have half the gearing of the former, the performance will be almost identical (wind resistance, throttle response etc. excluded) at that point in the rev range...

As far as throttle response is concerned you should not be surprised, the GTD is (a) diesel and (b) turbo it will never be as good as a normally aspirated petrol engine...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Mohsin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2014, 12:31 »
Oh yeah of course, looking at the Integra and S2000, they are a lot more raw than what I had.

Yes, understand what you are saying regarding torque...it's like, the total area under the torque curve for both engines are probably not all that much different, but greatly vary in terms of how that torque is delivered. Sort of like my very crudely drawn graph:

Yeah, understand throttle response isn't ever going to be as good as an NA engine, was just highlighting that it felt very different initially.

2014 Golf GTD

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2014, 14:22 »
Afternoon all

Before I make a complete numpty of myself and say to the dealer 'I can hear the turbo', I assume no one else can hear any turbo 'sounds'?

PS
Booked in for the 2nd Sep for the clutch judder to be looked at.