Author Topic: Nav Pro or not  (Read 5538 times)

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
Re: Nav Pro or not
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2014, 10:11 »
You only need to miss one camera warning and thats £90 fine, 3 points and 5 years of increased Insurance costs, in my opinion that lack of verbal/audio camera warnings is critical.

No matter how big the screen icon if you are concentrating on the road, especially ones you do not drive regularly, you will not see the icon warning.

Nav pro might be a great SatNav but it is a compromised as a camera database and as such a separate audio unit will always be preferable to a fine and points
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2014, 10:50 »
I don't know how the Navpro is updated but the Tomtom is so easy. One can drag and drop updates from a pc or laptop daily if one wants
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2014, 12:40 »
Camera locations won't always save you - those sneaky mobile units get all over now. Do these alerts do fixed camera points only or the whole legitimate scoutable zones that mobile units can be in?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2014, 13:33 »
Tomtom users can report mobile camera sites and  map corrections as changes to the road infrastructure are made. They can download verified or include unverified changes to their maps. Mobile and roadworks cameras are included.
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2014, 13:56 »
Versus TomTom. Discovery Pro is missing:

1. Despite the 17Gb data file it is missing road data for virtually every postcode I enter, unlike TomTom.
2. TomTom has IQ routes which varies the route at different times of day to avoid traffic, I found this very effective, Discovery Pro takes no notice and wants to direct me through the middle of towns such as Reading at 5pm.
3. TomTom has HD traffic which has saved me many hours of queuing traffic over the last few years and includes data for all road types. Discovery Pro has a fairly useless and inaccurate system TMC which uses government supplied data for Motorways and some trunk routes. so far virtually every notification of jams ahead has been wrong.
4. As previously discussed there is a lack of flexibility with POIs with no audible notifications.
5. TomTom provides regular firmware updates that improve functionality and overcome bugs, this can be done simply and easily by plugging the unit in to my PC. My Discovery Pro has supposedly been updated by the dealer to the latest version but still crashes regularly and has no noticeable improvements. To get this done took the dealer 10 days to get in the updated firmware and many frustrating phonecalls to the dealership who don't understand updating firmware.
6. Discovery-Pro was designed to work with car-net which would greatly improve its functionality but in their wisdom VW UK is the only country in Europe not to offer the system on GTD/GTIs

Overall Discovery Pro looks nice, is relatively easy to use and enhances the environment of the car BUT offers poor functionality against almost any aftermarket satnav and represents very poor value for money at £1,700. Amazingly the free satNav which is in my wife's up! offer's better functionality and ease of use.
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2014, 15:49 »
In addition to TomToms own Camera database you can easily add the PocketGPS database - £20 per year - which includes mobile, average speed and fixed and is kept up to date buy both their users and their own team so is generally considered to be one of the most up to date and accurate databases - updates released weekly.

The C50 I also use is a standalone - non SatNav - unit which also has a verified database, running both is a belt and braces approach but suits me.  This unit could also be used with NavPro loaded with the PocketGPS database, the NavPro would show the location and the C50 would give the audio alerts.

Another alternative is to use the PocketGPS database on a GPS SmartPhone in conjunction with loading it onto the NavPro - the licence allows installation on 3 devices. On a Smartphone without maps PGPS will give audio warnings and the NapPro should show the locations.

I am sure there are other combinations possible but if you have a NAvPro and PGPS on a SmartPhone or by using a C50 you get the best of both worlds.

If you have standard Nav, then a C50 will give audio warnings and if you have no Nav then a TomTom running PGS database is the probably the best option - which can also be run alongside the standard Nav unit, a duplicate I know but gives you both Audio and visual warnings.

When I added standard Nav to my GTi order I nievely assumed you would be able to load a fully working Camera Database with Audio warnings - If I was ordering now I would save the cash and just buy a large TomTom that can take the PGPS database - care must be taken as some of the latest versions of TomTom do not allow third party databases to be loaded, but plenty still do.

Here endeth the lesson ........?????
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2014, 18:01 »
The top and bottom of it is a tom tom is a dedicated sat nav and it's just that so explains the cheap price in comparison to a built in sat nav. The last time I checked you can't listen to the radio, play music CDs, play DVDs, get parking sensor info or look at yourself reversing on a tom tom or any other sat nav for that matter. The maps are navteq which quite a few stand alone sat navs use and you can also use a speed camera database as has been mentioned. The nav pro also shows you the speed restriction of the road you are currently on so you shouldn't need any audible warnings of up coming cameras. Both have great plus points but both have failings.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2014, 18:37 »
One can do all those things with the standard CMS and save yourself £1700 if you have a Tomtom.
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2014, 19:05 »
One can do all those things with the standard CMS and save yourself £1700 if you have a Tomtom.

It can't play DVD's, it doesn't come with a hard drive and doesn't come with voice recognition or bigger screen.
Yeah its a lot of money but it works out at £1500 via a broker and makes it more desirable when selling.
I don't have a TomTom so would have to buy one and then set it up every journey, leaving suction marks on the screen as well.

£1500 is a bargain in my eyes  :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2014, 20:46 »
You can have any option you want, it's your car. Just to say that I have had a Tomtom Go910 since they came out many years ago. It has a 20GB harddrive, can play mp4 movies and mp3 tracks through the car speakers. There are non-slip mats that take the satnav mounts that you can put on the dash in your line of sight. Later models do have voice recognition. Only thing they don't have is the larger screen away from line of sight. Agreed the trailing cable is undesirable.
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr