Author Topic: Still waiting..... (my story so far)  (Read 4821 times)

Offline ScottA

• I live here
Still waiting..... (my story so far)
« on: 20 February 2012, 00:30 »
So, I first ordered my GTI at the beginning of September at Crewe Volkswagen. I managed to negotiate what I thought to be a good deal, on par with online brokers such as Drive the Deal. I asked again and again, are you sure you have allocation for this to be built, and yes I was told. Nothing progressed after a few weeks, so I started to ask more questions and get VW customer services involved. Eventually, after a lot of calls to customer services and to the dealer, it came to light that they had no allocation, and I was told by a manager that they had been trying to purchase allocation from another dealer (unsuccessfully) - so I cancelled and got a refund. I didn't really kick up a fuss with them (although I look back now and think why not) but they are my local dealership and I may need to go there in the future. I would also add that I have had a few bad experiences with other dealerships owned by their parent company, both sales (Audi - which lost them the sale) and their body shop, so I will certainly be avoiding them in the future where possible.

I then called up and spoke to a salesman at Chester VW. I've never been there before (it's about 25 miles away) – in fact I’ve still never been there. I said what spec I wanted and what I was prepared to pay, and Chester came back with a fair offer and I accepted. I said to them, I’ve been f**ked around already and explained the situation, and I said if something is wrong I’d rather know than be in the dark – and they agreed. A few days later, I was given a provisional build week of 4, and they even sent me screenshots to prove, so you can’t really get any fairer than that!

Just before Christmas, the built week disappeared, I could understand if it went back by a week, but this didn’t it was just left without a build week. I spoke to the dealer and told them I would contact customer services, who were “ok” at best. They can tell me what the system (SLI) says but not much more. I’ve made lots of calls to them and you get different answers from different people.

I then decided to write an email to VW UK’s CEO – Chris Craft. A colleague from his office contacted me and they were great – they took over the case until the build week was confirmed. They made enquiries with Germany etc regarding the delay, and eventually build week 7 was provisionally stated. I was told this could come forward before confirming, which it did to week 6. The order was confirmed and the car would definitely be built in week 6. I received £50 worth of vouchers from VW UK which I used at TGI’s and I thought that was a nice touch, not so much to apologise for being messed around by Crewe, but for the delays with the second order.

So, the car was built during week 6! Hooray! And it was released for shipping at Emden on 10/02/2012, so I thought – great, March 1st delivery. Unfortunately, as far as I’m aware (I last checked on Saturday) it’s still sat at Emden. My hopes for March 1st delivery are slowly diminishing, as the dealer said they’ve had cars sit at Grimsby for a week or so too before being transported because they’re so busy at the moment.

When my car was built, I agreed to let my current car go to its buyer on 25th Feb as I assumed I would have it for the 1st. I spoke to VW UK (CEO’s office) and they have agreed with Chester VW to provide me with a hire car from when my car is picked up by the new buyer (25th Feb) until I pick up the GTI.  Very nice of them – as it’s actually only been 15-16 weeks since the order was accepted by the factory, and I know hire cars are usually provided for 20+ weeks, so it looks like they have taken my previous experience into consideration.

I have to say I am extremely pleased with the way both Chester VW and VW UK have handled the situation. But I am very disappointed with my local dealership. That said, it really didn’t surprise me, and I will stop giving them the benefit of the doubt as I have done so many times (Swansway Garages).

I currently have the RNS 510 sitting here, waiting for the car to arrive so I can retrofit it. Bad times indeed lol!

Happy motoring!

Scott
« Last Edit: 20 February 2012, 00:32 by ScottA »

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: Still waiting..... (my story so far)
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2012, 09:17 »
Ah man! Really feel for you mate, keep us informed via pm of the progress....and as everybody says" IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END!.....

Will pm you later...

Steve
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2012, 09:46 »
personally i wouldn't wait that long for a new golf.

3 of my local dealers have brand new gti's and gtd's in the showroom, 2 of them are ed35's

i got mine brand new as a cancelled order and bought it as it was there ready to take away. i wouldn't personally wait for months just to get build allocation. thats a p!ss take.

you would be able to find a new golf at similar to the spec you want if you look at all the dealers.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2012, 09:56 »
personally i wouldn't wait that long for a new golf.

3 of my local dealers have brand new gti's and gtd's in the showroom, 2 of them are ed35's

i got mine brand new as a cancelled order and bought it as it was there ready to take away. i wouldn't personally wait for months just to get build allocation. thats a p!ss take.

you would be able to find a new golf at similar to the spec you want if you look at all the dealers.

I know but I've always ordered new cars and personally I think it's worth the wait. I couldn't find a car with exactly my spec either, and as they have recently included full leather as std spec it was difficult getting one with that included. I've still had a nice A3 Black Edition to drive around in, so it's not like I've been stuck in a shed for 6 months. But I know where people are coming from and why they wouldn't want to wait - but personally, for me, I would be much happier with the car knowing it's everything I wanted. :) To be honest I ordered it so I could take delivery before the A3 runs out of warranty (1st March) so it's pretty close anyway, not a massive problem and if I was quoted 6 months when ordering, no problem either, but it's being messed around that I can't be dealing with!

Cheers,
Scott

Jimmymature

« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2012, 11:45 »
OMG, the longest post ever!!! Too long to read, good luck with whatever your problem is......

Offline pottinger

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2012, 12:23 »
OMG, the longest post ever!!! Too long to read, good luck with whatever your problem is......

rude but  :grin:

hope you get it soon mate, ive only ever bought brand new once (vauxhall zafira GSI - fast and same wheels as the ed35  :wink: :grin:) but the wait of 5 weeks was just annoying so i only buy what is there at the time now but enjoy, the car will make you smile  :smiley:

potts
« Last Edit: 20 February 2012, 13:12 by pottinger »
2011 5dr GTI, carbon Grey, DSG, and looovin it !

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2012, 12:43 »

Thanks for your valued input... :rolleyes:

The car has arrived in the UK this morning and mustn't have been scanned on to the ship in Emden, so that's good news. March 1st might be back on!

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2012, 12:55 »

A truly "mature" reply Jimmy.

Back to the OP. I'm like yourself, I don't mind waiting for a car if you are told up front what to expect, but when you start getting messed about then it becomes a real pain, especially when it's something you are tied into (both financially and anticipation).

The car is definitely worth the wait, so just keep going and you'll be smiling soon.  :wink:

Your last post is great news, the 1st of March would be a nice date to get it. Fingers crossed bud.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2012, 13:26 »
Dealer allocation not build allocation is the key thing Scott. When I ordered mine in Sept 2009 they said 3 months delivery. I said you have got to be joking I will goto Crewe Volkswagen and see they can do it faster. They said Crewe won't do it any faster it all depends on the dealer allocation. Dealers are only allocated a small number of each model, Stoke Volkswagen was 3 GTD's, 1 was the demo car that left 2 for sale plus the demo. They said they were getting phone calls from London asking if they could get a GTD for them as all the dealers down there had used their allocation.

I thought the idea of a dealer selling cars was to sell them as many as possible not just sell the ones they are allocated?

It ended up 4 months in the end.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2012, 13:27 »

A truly "mature" reply Jimmy.

Back to the OP. I'm like yourself, I don't mind waiting for a car if you are told up front what to expect, but when you start getting messed about then it becomes a real pain, especially when it's something you are tied into (both financially and anticipation).

The car is definitely worth the wait, so just keep going and you'll be smiling soon.  :wink:

Your last post is great news, the 1st of March would be a nice date to get it. Fingers crossed bud.

Hi mate, thanks, it's much appreciated. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm trying to decide whether to leave the suspension standard, stick it on springs or go for coilovers. I had coilovers on my A3 so I'm used to having a nice stance, but I would love to keep it standard. We shall see! lol. I also had Eibach ARB's, S3 brakes, Whiteline ALK etc on the A3 so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the GTI handles in its standard form.

I've also got LED's to convert the interior bulbs, a RNS 510 to fit (version H, which is the same as F but with v8 maps as standard) and a few other things. I'm looking at sill protectors too but not sure what to go for yet.

The car isn't being cleaned by the dealership, I've asked them to leave it alone and I'm taking it to my mates unit and we're going to detail it there. I did the same when I had my A3 and it's never been washed by anyone other than myself since. Chester VW have said they can turn around the car within 24 hours so that's really good.