Author Topic: Turbo Technics 8v conversion  (Read 26866 times)

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
  • Mk1 GTI Cabby, MK2 GTI 8v Turbo Technics
Re: Turbo Technics 8v conversion
« Reply #50 on: 22 August 2011, 13:21 »
Yeah it's K-jet, I'll put the warm up reg on the list. I suppose given that it's summer I could disconnect it and see how it goes ?

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 22 August 2011, 18:05 »
Yeah sorry, didn't mean 'prove' power, more check the power out of interest.. Regarding starting, is it flooding, or starved?? If flooding, maybe try disconnecting the cold start injector (I have to have mine unplugged all summer). The wur heater element helps it to come 'off choke' quicker, so disconnecting it means your relying on heatsoak from the engine to 'ramp off' choke, so it'll probably worsen. Its prob more a case of proving all injectors for equal delivery and no drips, then proving the pump + system pressure with gauges, and setting the wur control pressure when fully upto temp.. Not sure what the control pressure is on a turbo kjet, prob best for a good kjet rolling roader to set it all up, watching afr's and adjusting accordingly..

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #52 on: 22 August 2011, 18:42 »
Just noticed you have a MK1 cab too, great minds think alike haha

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 24 August 2011, 12:04 »
I did post some old pics of the MK1 Cab but I need to get some more up, I've just got the lower part of the car sprayed and fitted a new leather seats set. It needs a good polish up after the paint work then I'll get a few photo's

Good point on the cold start inj, I did have to do a lot of this on the Mk1 to get it running and some of it is coming back to me now......

Start with the easy stuff and work my way on to the other bits I suppose, I'm sure it will all come folding back  :rolleyes:

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #54 on: 24 August 2011, 23:08 »
Cold start injector was taped off eventually on mosy k-jet turbotechnics conversions due to isssues  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #55 on: 26 August 2011, 04:39 »
Right I'll give that a go... I've not been able to find a great deal of info about the TT golfs, particularly 8V :huh:

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #56 on: 19 August 2012, 14:05 »
Old thread revival but it keeps it all together.

I need a new airflow meter, turbo technics don't do the parts anymore, does anyone have any ideas?

I was wondering about getting a standard one and changing the resistor.. is it that simple or am I on the wrong track?

I've also heard the BMW 535 meter would work, ant truth in that ?

:shocked:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #57 on: 19 August 2012, 14:14 »
Airflow meter?  You mean 'metering head' if it's K-Jet?

I always hear 'Vince from Stealth' when people say 'K-Jet tuning' so maybe talk to him?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #58 on: 19 August 2012, 15:29 »
I'm sure this is K-Jet.....

As DH says, it's the metering head, this controls the amount of fuel getting to the injectors via a plate that moves by the force of induction.

Although Technics don't supply parts anymore, I would at least ask them if they modified the standard unit in anyway.  (mine is documented as modified but does not state in what way)  Hopefully yours is standard and the only modification required would be the fueling setup to match the engines demands.

They do come up on ebay from time to time.  Often many forums have them in classifieds where people have done a transplant or converted to carbs etc.

I did know of a place (not in the uk) that did refurbs on an exchange basis if you're after a new one.   Will have to see if I can find more info when not at work.

Offline spankier

• Not said much yet
« Reply #59 on: 19 August 2012, 20:36 »
Absolute corker of a car that, good to know somebody is looking after a car like this.

K-jet can be a sod to diagnose but is actually a very robust system once brought back to life, I've had 3 k-jet mk2s now and all of them liked to be used, sitting round makes them really sulk!
Air leaks in the inlet tract are the single biggest enemy of k-jet cars (that and the difficulty in finding spares)
It's worth bearing in mind that you can mix and match k-jet parts between different cars, so for example the testarossa shared parts with the v8 porsches of the time, large mercedes and bmw did the same, audi 5pots, ford granada/capri 2.8i.... the list goes on, but if you think of it as 100hp cars having a bosch 100hp system, 150hp having the next one up and so on thats kind of how it went, with the most taylored part to a given engine being the metering head (the shape of the taper the flap lifts into directly affects the rate of opening and fuel ratio) obviously you don't want to cock up a really good car but to keep it going whilst you source the correct parts it can be a handy stop gap. The one part that demands a good setting up session if replaced even with an original spec one is the metering head, they are easy to adjust and get the car starting and driving well (i did exactly that on my mates mercedes cosworth this weekend) but a bugger to get right - in fact even on a dyno you are looking for the best compromise but as has been said earlier in this thread that's what was available at that time, in fact it was THE best at that time!

Anyway, great to see and will look forward to seeing it fully eightysified. :)