Author Topic: Adaptive suspension-views please  (Read 9240 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Re: Adaptive suspension-views please
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2010, 21:28 »

You can tell but its pretty marginal.  I drive about in Comfort everywhere and its not at all sloppy as you'd imagine an old-school comfort orientated Citroen might be.  If I'm "pushing on" and have no passengers then Normal or Sport would be my choice.  Looking forward to a track day when I can really explore the car more in safety.   :evil:

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2010, 21:56 »
Thanks for the help.  One final question, just splitting hairs, does it differ from the Audi magnetic system?  the VW tech page implies it's a wholly pneumatic system, yet the MkVI review posted in the sticky section mentions it's magnetic. :nerd:

It's not the magneto-rheological system used on Audis. The VW system uses variable valving in the damper to increase or reduce resistance to oil flow. This is controlled electronically by computer based on feedback from chassis sensors.
Golf R

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2010, 22:04 »
You can tell, but it's not all that marked in my opinion.  I don't find myself suddenly saying, "damn, I'm on the wrong ACC setting!"

Mind you, after the 12-year-old Peugeot, even normal seems like a feather bed.  And I haven't driven a Golf without it (apart from a short test drive) to compare.

I specced it because I cart my 93-year-old mother around, and she was complaining bitterly about the Peugeot.  I put the Golf in Comfort, and she's perfectly happy and then she falls asleep.

Rolfe.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2010, 22:10 »
You can tell, but it's not all that marked in my opinion.  I don't find myself suddenly saying, "damn, I'm on the wrong ACC setting!"

Mind you, after the 12-year-old Peugeot, even normal seems like a feather bed.  And I haven't driven a Golf without it (apart from a short test drive) to compare.

I specced it because I cart my 93-year-old mother around, and she was complaining bitterly about the Peugeot.  I put the Golf in Comfort, and she's perfectly happy and then she falls asleep.

Rolfe.
:laugh:
Brilliant comment, as usual.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline herbie911

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2010, 22:34 »
Unless you are old enough to lose your senses, you can definitely tell the difference between sport and comfort. In sport mode, the throttle response is slightly sharper and it pick up a bit more minor road imperfections than comfort mode. The beauty of this subtle difference is that you can still use the sport mode on a normal road if you are in the mood. Unlike other electronic suspension such as the Porsche PASM or M5, sport mode=bone jarring ride!

I drive to work everyday in comfort mode. I use the sport mode only if I had a bad day at work or I am up against something like a Type R or ST!

The downside I suspect is that the sport mode is a bit too soft for trackdays!

Online Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2010, 10:33 »
I have driven a few with it now and it seems that you need a good few thousand miles on the car to be able to notice the difference between levels. I guess it takes the dampers time to ware in.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2010, 23:26 »
I have driven a few with it now and it seems that you need a good few thousand miles on the car to be able to notice the difference between levels. I guess it takes the dampers time to ware in.

+1
Golf R

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2010, 12:17 »
Hi.

Key is for you to try two gti's one with acc and one without. Also you need to take each are out for a couple of hours to try properly.
In the end everyone has their own thoughts on acc and if they can tell the difference or if it's worth it for a small difference in comfort etc. Check out some of the posts I've done which includes a poll asking who's spec'd ACC or not.

I went through the same as I couldn't tell any real difference with ACC in comfort mode, and then a car without ACC, the normal GTI was excellent anyway so didn't think it was worth it. However others did, so in the end, it's a simple one to answer - it's key for you to try yourself!

The cash saved almost covered the cost of a sunroof and a RCD510.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 06 February 2010, 12:28 »
I was considering getting this.  What's it like?

On the test drive, I found 'comfort' great over the potholes on London streets.
Car seemed more relaxed.
So I ordered mine with ACC.
My build week has been confirmed now. It is 9.
It is a Tornado Red 5 door GTi with 18" wheels, ACC, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Cloth, £250 for 3 year Service. Got a good deal.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2010, 12:33 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 06 February 2010, 12:45 »
Yeah , plenty of earlier info on this.
My opinion, brilliant - the only true 'must have' option.
And of course.... yes,  you must test before you buy. Stupid not to.

A 'must have' option if you live in pot-holed central London.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP