Author Topic: Door Guards  (Read 4802 times)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Door Guards
« on: 25 August 2009, 16:13 »
Hello Chaps

In a similar vein to the recent posts about mud flaps, on which seeing the pics I thought were quite tasteful, I was wondering about peoples comments or experiences with door guards.

A long time ago, you used to be able to get these white rubbery things which could be affixed to the door edges to protect them.  Now I thought they were pretty ghastly and never used them.  Also, I noticed on other cars that after a few years they would leave marks on the paint work.

Getting to the point, as our current parking space is quite narrow (with bricks walls on both sides) I would be interested in any products out there to help protect the doors of my new arrival.  I’m quite good at not opening the doors fully (being an adult), but the kids don’t always consider these things when they get out.

I suppose this also applies to the gut renching feeling when you park to a high kerb, open the door and it stops half way when it grates across the pavement.  You then try to squeeze out of the car with the door where it is (looking like a muppet), to give it a bit more clearance so that you can then close the door without it doing more damage.  Don't say it's never happened to anyone else.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 25 August 2009, 16:22 by rjwojcik »
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Door Guards
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2009, 17:48 »
These are an option dealer fit option
iirc the part number is 5k0071329

« Last Edit: 25 August 2009, 17:51 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2009, 21:04 »
Thanks, hadn't even thought about whether VW offered anything, nice work.  Looking at them, it doesn't seem that would offer any protection for the rears, but at least it's something to consider.
Current:
Gone:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2009, 21:41 »
I didn't realise these were options - I thought they were part of the standard Mk V design!

I've always fitted the little clip ones to my doors, and they really work.  Even if they do mark the paintwork a little, you don't notice it if you keep them on, and it's better than dents going right down to the bare metal and rusting!

Last week I was getting out of my Peugeot in a high wind, and the door got caught and smashed against a stone wall.  Not a mark.

I quite fancy that dealer-fit option though.

Rolfe.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2009, 21:48 »
If the walls where you park your car at night belong to you I would be inclined to put something on the wall rather than the car.
A piece of pipe insulation would do the trick.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2009, 21:51 »
If the walls where you park your car at night belong to you I would be inclined to put something on the wall rather than the car.

Or nail some old carpet to the wall.  Try your local carpet shop and ask them if they have any old samples or offcuts.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

BA Baracus

« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2009, 21:58 »
Easy fix-

1)  Buy pipe insulation 52p http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273770&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=pipe+insulation&fh_eds=ß&fh_refview=search&ts=1251233236521&isSearch=true

2)  Buy superglue £1.78 http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9254433&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372100%7d&fh_search=glue&fh_refview=search&ts=1251233480823&isSearch=false

3)  Open up pipe insulation and glue along edge

4)  Stick pipe insulation horizontally to wall where car door will hit brickwork

and voila! no matter where you park you can open the car door to the maximum width and the paintwork will be protected by the cushioning of the pipe insulation.  :wink:

I've used this for years to garage my car - new build houses do not have wide enough garages!

PS  Cheers to all posters for golf gti photos, much appreciated, got a polo gti here but just trying to find the dosh to get a white 5 door golf gti.

BA Baracus

« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2009, 22:03 »

Beaten to it with this tip! 

*note to self* must type quicker

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2009, 22:17 »
Some good ideas, chaps (and chapesses).  I must admit, I do like the insulation pipe option, not too sure the Close will warm for me putting carpet up on the walls (as they're visible for all to see).  Although that would be an option in an enlosed area, such as a garage.
Current:
Gone:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2009, 23:31 »
Well, that would be good if you can guarantee never to open a door within reach of any other wall or even hard surface!

My mishap last Saturday was with the wall of the restaurant I was intending to eat in.

Rolfe.