Author Topic: Does anyone know in laymans terms what oil is used fot the mk6 gti  (Read 13868 times)

Offline gossa

• I live here
This is the bottle that the dealer (or VW?) left in my boot on collection so presumably their reccomendation?

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
Well, the bottle that came with the dealership is as follows:

Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow
LongLife III
5W-30

Also stated on the bottle and I quote, "Volkswagen recommends Castrol" and its co-engineered with Volkswagen with Clean Performance Technology. So I guess Castrol is the official oil for all Volkswagen vehicles.

Relevant codes at the back says its SAE 5W-30; ACEA A3/B3/B4; VW 504 00/ 507 00

If in doubt call +44 1793 452222 for further information..

tut tut

HM
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Seriously though, Id use Castrol Edge Sport, maybe a bit OTT, but its good stuff.

Nope - no good for modern VAGs.  Castrol Edge Sport is a 'rebadged' Castrol Formula RS 10w40 - and is NOT suitable for direct injection engines!
The vw parts number for the oil is the quoted on the back of the castrol edge  0-30 bottle so i would assume you can use it.( vw 502)

'502.00' isn't a VW parts number at all.  It is merely an oil specification standard - and any oil company who makes an oil to that standard can submit a sample to VW for testing and evaluation - and be granted said standard.

But 502 is still NOT the best oil for the GTI.  504 oils are considerably higher quality, and VW workshops MUST now only use 504 oils.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
Seriously though, Id use Castrol Edge Sport, maybe a bit OTT, but its good stuff.

Nope - no good for modern VAGs.  Castrol Edge Sport is a 'rebadged' Castrol Formula RS 10w40 - and is NOT suitable for direct injection engines!
The vw parts number for the oil is the quoted on the back of the castrol edge  0-30 bottle so i would assume you can use it.( vw 502)

I think there is a bit of confusion,

You can get

Castrol Edge
&
Catrol Edge Sport.

Not the same thing, one is approved one isn't.

:afro: Spot on! :afro:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
Well, the bottle that came with the dealership is as follows:

Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow
LongLife III
5W-30

Yup, that is perfect.

And just to clarify (as I just did in the other GTI mk6 'oil thread'  :wink:) - Castrol SLX is the name used for 'trade' partners such as official main dealers - whereas Castrol EDGE is the 'consumer' name, say in Halfrauds.  Both identical specs of oil.

Also stated on the bottle and I quote, "Volkswagen recommends Castrol" and its co-engineered with Volkswagen with Clean Performance Technology. So I guess Castrol is the official oil for all Volkswagen vehicles.

Ahhhhhh . . . but if you were to look in the boot of say a Seat Leon Cupra (which is to all intents a rebadged VW GTI) - then delete the word 'Castrol' and insert the word 'Repsol'.  They also have Repsol embossed into their oil filler caps on the engine.  But the official factory fill is the German Fuchs oil.

But yes, Castrol were/are also a leading lubricants partner too, along with Pentosin (who make the oil for the DSG box).

Relevant codes at the back says its SAE 5W-30; ACEA A3/B3/B4;

Actually, for Volkswagen purposes, they are completely irelevent!  :wink:

VW 504 00/ 507 00

And only one of them is relevent to the GTI!  :nerd:

If in doubt call +44 1793 452222 for further information..

Which will get answered by Castrol Techical in Swindon.  :tongue:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
ha ha ha thanks TT for the heads up.... I am sure many of the members in this forum will benefit from this information... and put to rest the ultimate question of what oil to use... cheers

HM

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!

So in summary, am i right in saying that for the non-long life servicing regime, I (and any VW garage I service with) should be using Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow, LongLife III 5W-30?

This is the most suitable engine oil for the Mk6 Golf GTI?
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict

So in summary, am i right in saying that for the non-long life servicing regime, I (and any VW garage I service with) should be using Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow, LongLife III 5W-30?

This is the most suitable engine oil for the Mk6 Golf GTI?

Yup! :afro:

That is the 'official' instruction from VW Germany.  If you were desparate to use a 502.00 oil (for whatever hyperthetical reason) - then you would have to have it serviced outside the main dealer network.  But as you have probably discovered, there are an alarming number of stealers who still fail to comply with VW Germanys recommendations - which is why I take great pains to really clarify the nitty-gritty points.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
yaaay so what I have in my hands right now is the best oil for my sweet GTI... ahem, dont ask why I am having a bottle of auto oil in my bedroom... ahem... <cough> <cough> synthetic oil isnt harmful to the skin, right? If a little got onto my hands?