Poll

How much does my stripped out track shed weigh?

960kg
8 (15.7%)
980kg
19 (37.3%)
1000kg
11 (21.6%)
1020kg
5 (9.8%)
1040kg
2 (3.9%)
1060kg
2 (3.9%)
1080kg
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: 27 March 2009, 14:31

Author Topic: Guess the weight of the stripped out Golf2 Syncro  (Read 5400 times)

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: Guess the weight of the stripped out Golf2 Syncro
« Reply #40 on: 27 March 2009, 17:41 »
bitumin floor is nearly out of mine :)   has got 1 bucket so far
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #41 on: 27 March 2009, 19:47 »
just finished that job on mine

sound deadening plus tarry sh!t weighs 14.3kg, i havent done the bulkhead yet so thats a bit more

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 27 March 2009, 19:59 »
i've got the drivers side to do,   rear and passinger side done.   hopefully battery will be located ini the boot in a mk4 battery box type thing by the end of weekend as well.    then must get plexi glass orderd 

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #43 on: 27 March 2009, 20:09 »
f**king horrible job, ive left the glue there for another time. its surprising how good just the carpet is at sound deadening though

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 28 March 2009, 01:46 »
i found the stuck on sheet like stuff came off really easy with a bit of warmth and a scraper behind it them it peeled off,   the bitumin in the foot wells and under seats was bit diffrent, scraped and chipped one section off cold used heat and scraper on the other.   found with heat it was quicker but messyer.   as for the glue  i tryed a few nasty solvents on it and gave up none of them touched it, brake cleaner is next on the list to try  that seems to shift everything :)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #45 on: 28 March 2009, 08:35 »
i reckon 60kgs worth of sh!t has came out.

We talking about this car or your mouth ? :evil:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 29 March 2009, 12:47 »

Harsh, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #47 on: 29 March 2009, 16:03 »

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 30 March 2009, 14:11 »
1.06 tonne (1060kg for the hard of thinking) is the figure on the ticket (I'll scan it in if anyone's THAT interested).

My first reaction was considerable disappointment - there's NOTHING in the car, but then I thought about it - maybe 20-30litres of fuel in the tank would be about 25kg, so maybe that's 1035kg.  

As far as I can figure out, the hardest thing about losing weight on a vehicle is that if you replace a standard component with a lighter one you still only gain the delta between the two.  Add in dinner-plate-sized front brakes, plus the much heavier cable-change gearbox, another 15mm of iron on the height of the block and various other odds and sods and it becomes obvious that after you've stripped out the interior (much of which is cardboard light) weight loss becomes pretty tough in a vehicle weighing 1000kg.

So, I now need to remove all that bitumen from the floor - even if I only save another 5kg at least the damned thing will SOUND a lot louder inside after that  :grin:.

Next, I need to find the person in central Bristol who owns a standard Golf Syncro and get them to put it on the weighbridge too - that would get some useful extra information....

There is 55kgs differance in the weght of the Mk3 8v and the Mk3 16v which you can only assume is the differance in the engine, gearbox and associated parts. So with your engine transplant you have added about 55kgs which is a lot of weight.

Losing your front door cards will save you 3 to 5 kilos. Is your roof lining still in ? another 1.5 kilos.

Bucket seats and frames saved me another 9 kilos, not as much as I hoped the bucket seat frames on their own weighed 16kgs. But you could probably make something lighter yourself or use side frames if you don't need to adjust them.

Taking the angle grinder to mine this weekend to lose the unwanted brackets etc. Still keep looking at the dash and wondering what that weighs.

Paul

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 30 March 2009, 14:21 »

Still keep looking at the dash and wondering what that weighs.

Bare dash shell with the metal brackets weighs more than 6kg, just weighed one!