Author Topic: LONG SHOT HERE{UPDATE}  (Read 1473 times)

Offline jake

• I live here
LONG SHOT HERE{UPDATE}
« on: 19 March 2009, 00:11 »
right this is a shot in the dark as i know this problem could be anything, but its seriously f**kin me off! its not a big problem(i hope), but i

have an annoying noise coming from near the driver side wheel, (it sounds like its coming from there anywhere), yet when the car moves

it sounds like there is something catching, like a crisp packet type noise, very hard to explain i know, its definitely a rotary noise not

engine or anything, and it becomes worse when i turn left, (left hand down) like its catching more! ive had the wheel off and jacked it

up but cant see or hear, or feel anything. ive checked there are no stones stuck in the tyre, cos thats what it sounds like, is there any

way i can get a garage to some how get the wheel spinning so i can look what it could be, i tried spinning the wheel around a few times

with my hand but obviously it wont spin fast enough to make the noise,

sorry for the essay but need help? :huh: :huh:

jake
« Last Edit: 20 March 2009, 14:00 by jwelsh12 »

Offline mart08uk

• GTI forum regular
Re: LONG SHOT HERE!
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2009, 01:09 »
hey, if its the front wheel jack the car up at the side which you think it is put the handbreak on and start the car with clutch in then slowly let the clutch out in 1st gear, you shud be able to fully release it and it will spin for you... do this slow and wouldnt recommend doing in high gear .. not sure if this helps or what you meant but  :tongue:

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2009, 12:38 »
Sounds like a CV joint to me, especially if it's clicking on left lock, or could be a bearing but they usually make a whirring noise when there gone

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2009, 14:07 »
how much u reckon for a new cv joint?

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2009, 16:04 »
£58 from GSF, a couple of hours to fit  :smiley:

Offline jake

• I live here
Re: LONG SHOT HERE{UPDATE}
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2009, 14:04 »
right ok i went to the garage today, cos the noise was really doing my head in. I go to this garage all the

time so i do trust their opinions. To start with i foregot to mention when i first put out this thread that the

driver side wheel baering has been wooing for a good month now, but i didnt think that the bareing would

make a clicking noise like this :huh:. The cv joint seemed fine he said, what i have noticed is that the

clicking noise becomes worse when i turn left, i.e. when left hand down.

please someone help me :grin: its such an annoying noise, the garage said take a gamble, replace the wheel baering because it needs doing anyway and see if that works, but i dont wanna spend 90 quid, and#
then still not have the problem solved????? :angry:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2009, 16:37 »
Drivers side wheel bearing is shot. change the bearing a see if the noise goes before you buy any other parts  :wink:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2009, 19:35 »
would a baering make a noise like that though?i thought they just made an annoying wirring noise, not a clicking sound :huh:

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2009, 19:41 »
you know that the bearings gone so you might aswell do that and get one problem out the way. if not two

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2009, 19:43 »
If the bearing is completely nackered  :undecided: when mine went the sound changed over a couple weeks.
Get it done and see if the noise is still there, if it is start looking for what it could be, if not, job done  :wink:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...