Author Topic: Mk5 specific results from the JKM RR day on 7th March 09  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Mk5 specific results from the JKM RR day on 7th March 09
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2009, 19:57 »
OK, waiting patiently Robin!  :wink:  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RobGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2009, 20:33 »

Forge themselves powder coated it I asked them to paint it black not powder coat it, they (John) claimed it wouldn't effect as he put it the "thermal efficiency" or warranty.

I'll might have to ask them about this bearing in mind what you say.  :undecided:

I paid £650 all inc plus £50 for the powder coating.

With regards the S3 cooler, I'll see how I get on with this maybe I'll need one with all the powder on it :laugh:

« Last Edit: 10 March 2009, 20:35 by RobGTI »
Edition 30, Black, 3 dr, Manual, Xenons, Highline, Sunroof, Armrest, Cruise, Touchscreen Nav & Bluetooth.

Offline RobGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2009, 20:48 »
Edition 30, Black, 3 dr, Manual, Xenons, Highline, Sunroof, Armrest, Cruise, Touchscreen Nav & Bluetooth.

Offline RobGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2009, 20:57 »
Nice torque curve on yours T_T, seems that the Intercoolers help hold boost??,rather then falling away like most ive seen on jkm's rollers.

Just dug up my graph as am interested in how much the intercoolers do.

Not that I profress to know about these things but here what I think:

On my graph the torque starts to drop away at 3500 rpm while TTs is flat all the way until 5500 rpm, I assume this holding the torque equates to the stronger top end!  :nerd:

BTW
It was actually 199.4 bhp not 199.2, that .02 will make all the difference :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2009, 23:10 »

Have now changed Revo Fuel setting from F9 to F7 at my VW dealer. Taking Jim's advice to lower the AFR from about 12.2 to 12.0.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Max Q

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2009, 23:29 »

Robin,

Do you mind explaining the reasons Jim gave for recommending you change your fuel to 7 as opposed to 9? I was originally set up with B6, T5, F6 but when I queried the fuel setting with Revo they were recommending 9. :huh:

Cheers.
Mk7.5 R DSG Indium Grey 5Dr

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2009, 23:32 »

Have now changed Revo Fuel setting from F9 to F7 at my VW dealer. Taking Jim's advice to lower the AFR from about 12.2 to 12.0.

If you have the standard oem HPFP, did they log your requested and actual fuel rail pressure after making the change?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2009, 23:36 »

Forge themselves powder coated it I asked them to paint it black not powder coat it, they (John) claimed it wouldn't effect as he put it the "thermal efficiency" or warranty.

I'll might have to ask them about this bearing in mind what you say.  :undecided:

I paid £650 all inc plus £50 for the powder coating.

With regards the S3 cooler, I'll see how I get on with this maybe I'll need one with all the powder on it :laugh:

I reckon John (or you!  :lipsrsealed:) might have confused the powder coating vs paint.  When I initially spoke to Russell from Forge, he carefully explained to me that they will only flash spray a very thin coat of black paint on their coolers - and when they sent mine, the paint was very thin - but is standing up well to the winter without a single chip.  Maybe you ought to speak to Russell.  :wink:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2009, 23:38 »
Mine came spray painted black too. Like you say Sean, it is a very thin coat of black paint. :smiley:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2009, 23:42 »
Nice torque curve on yours T_T, seems that the Intercoolers help hold boost??,rather then falling away like most ive seen on jkm's rollers.

Just dug up my graph as am interested in how much the intercoolers do.

Not that I profress to know about these things but here what I think:

On my graph the torque starts to drop away at 3500 rpm while TTs is flat all the way until 5500 rpm, I assume this holding the torque equates to the stronger top end!  :nerd:

Basically, yes.  Because the inlet tract is less restrictive with the larger intercoolers.  Robins plots are similar to yours.  Now bear in mind, Robin also has a freer flowing air filter, along with his Carbonio, whereas my air filter and inlet are pure stock - so that must mean the stock GTI is quite restrictive at high revs.

Oh, and don't forget the other primary benefit of uprated intercoolers - check out the differences in the air temperatures between mine and Robins - and work out what I am on about.  :wink:

BTW
It was actually 199.4 bhp not 199.2, that .02 will make all the difference :grin:

Pah, what's a fifth of a pony between mates!  :grin:
-----

I feel like a homo