Author Topic: new brake pads  (Read 1396 times)

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
new brake pads
« on: 23 June 2004, 08:46 »
Just got new brake pads, cos my old ones were worn out.  They feel much more responsive when braking from speed, but the last 10-0mph is sh!t.

Is this a common characteristic of new brakes?  Do I just need to bed them in for a bit?  

I understand why brand spanking new brakes aren't perfect (because any contours in the discs mean that perfectly flat, new pads don't make contact over the full area).  But I don't get why they're especially crap when just comming to a halt.  ???

54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re:new brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2004, 13:17 »
they you are meant to let them bed in to burn off the crap on the face of them used in the manufacture of them

what pads are they? if they are some sort of fast road pads then they generally need a bit of heat in them to get them performing

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2004, 13:31 »
They're Stock VW Mk4 GTI pads.  I'll go for a thrash later, hopefully that'll sort em out.  They don't inspire confidence though!   :-\
« Last Edit: 23 June 2004, 13:32 by richy »

golfvr6

« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2004, 14:36 »
Any new brake linings will not be fully efficient for the first 100 miles or so.

vwsystems

« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2004, 00:45 »
take it easy on them......... for abit........
lots of steady braking....... no heavy braking!
until they have worn in........

Offline Sooty and Sweep

• Not said much yet
  • I8ABS
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2004, 08:17 »
Using the brakes hard on new pads will ruin them! Depending on which speed you've braked from the last 10mph will be a bit dodge on new pads as they won't have bedded in and therefore will be more prone to fade.

As vwsystems says, take it easy for a while (50-100miles should do it).

Also, find a clear bit of road and dab the brakes with your left foot at about 30mph. Not enough to drastically slow the car but just until they start to bite, this should help bed them in...
ABS Sucks!!!

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2004, 09:37 »
Cheers guys.  They seem a little better now.  

Hope I haven't wrecked them by braking too hard!  ;D Mostly just done steady braking.

Rich.

P.S. Why does hard braking wreck em?
« Last Edit: 24 June 2004, 09:40 by richy »

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2004, 10:05 »
cos it burns the surface of the disk and pad and they become glazed because of overheating